Friday, July 4, 2008

Ivy's first 4th of July



I love the 4th of July. I love the loud clap of the fireworks and the smell of bbqs. I watch a Revolutionary documentary on PBS and the musical 1776. I remember all the reasons why I love being an American. Today, I was able to share those feelings with my daughter.
It's Ivy's first 4th. Last year, she was 21 days away from being born. It was hot, I was pregnant and worried she would come any day. This year her paternal grandparents came to visit. We had bbq pork ribs (Neely's recipe from Food Network, my first attempt at bbq :) ) corn and bbq beans. We took a picinic lunch to Memorial park in Colorado Springs. We arrived early so we were able to get a beautiful spot next to the lake. Sadly we weren't able to hear any music but we also had lots of space to move around. When the fireworks started, Ivy seemed awestruck. It was the first time in months that she has sat still for longer than 5 min without being asleep!

1 comment:

Jake & Barbara said...

I love the blog. Ivy is sooo adorable and growing so fast. She is a month and one week older than Jared. He too is starting to clap and loves to climb. I love the pics of Ivy in the dishwasher. Those are classic. Thanks for sharing your blog with us.

-Barbara Orton